Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD+)
Although celebrating ones birthday is an amazing ordeal, most of us are freaked out by the idea of getting old. We all wish for that magic concoction that can counter the aging effect and help us stay young and vibrant. The good news is that scientists have found the missing puzzle meant to keep our bodies and minds youthful hence boosting longevity. The Co enzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) has been on the headlines following its life longevity features.
Understanding Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+)
NAD+ is found in all living cells and serves the purpose of energy metabolism and maintaining proper cell functioning, all of this takes place in the mitochondria. Our levels of NAD+ decline significantly as we age thus impairing mitochondria functioning.That is why underperforming or damaged mitochondria are the main causes of age related diseases(Eckelkamp, 2018).
NAD+ aids in maintaining our health by moderating sirtuin activity in body cells. Sirtuins are proteins that regulate biological pathways by turning genes on and off therefore protecting body cells from age related decline. NAD+ increases SIRT1 activity responsible for inducing the formation of new mitochondria and SIRT6 which helps to maintain telomeres length.
Increasing NAD+ levels in our bodies
Apropriate NAD+ levels are essential in supporting a body’s response to stress since NAD+ is used to modulate cellular activity when responding to both extrinsic and intrinsic assaults. It is important to keep our NAD+ levels in check taking into consideration that they decline with age.
- Calorie restriction – Consuming 20% to 30% calories less than your normal has proved to increase NAD+ levels hence increasing SIRT1 activation. This can effectively increase one’s lifespan
- Nicotinamide Riboside supplements (NR) – A new form of vitamin B3 found in milk. Our bodies convert it to NAD+ thereby increasing its levels in the body.
- Wearing sunscreen and protective clothing – UV rays damage skin cells forcing the body to use NAD+ in repairing. Wearing protective gear minimizes the damage therefore preserving NAD+.
- Maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise – Exercises boost your mitochondrion health and hence facilitating efficient use of NAD+.
Merits to maintaining and/or increasing NAD+ levels
Studies have shown encouraging results associated with boosting NAD+ levels as illustrated below.
- Prevention of age related memory loss – NAD+ repairs the DNA therefore resisting neural stress. This improved memory and prevents Alzheimer’s disease. Studies have shown less DNA damage, higher neuroplasticity and increased neuron production in mice treated with NR supplement.
- Prevention of weight gain – Increasing NAD+ levels boosts metabolism hence preventing weight gain irrespective of high fat intake. A study showed that NR supplement leads to 60% less weight and more energy.
- Boost strength and endurance – Age decreases our function and strength. Increasing NAD+ levels with NR supplements helps to relieve the aging effects. NAD+ supplements helps in DNA repair and improvement in muscle health.
- Increase Longevity. – Replenishing NAD+ with NR supplements lengthen lifespan by improving mitochondrial function and also increasing SIRT1 activation. NAD+ also increases SIRT6 activation which aids in maintaining telomeres length, DNA end caps responsible for longevity.
NAD+ is a paramount molecule for cellular function optimization which promote overall health and longevity. Calories restriction might be an arduous task for most individual to handle, using NR supplements on the other hand is much easier for most people(Elysium Health, 2017). One should find a suitable way to regulate his/ her NAD+ levels.
- Therapeutic potential of boosting NAD+ in aging and age-related diseases
- It takes two to tango: NAD+ and sirtuins in aging/longevity control
- Eckelkamp, S. (2018). A complete Guide to this longevity boosting co enzyme. Retrieved from Integrative Health: www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/nad-nicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide
- Elysium Health. (2017). Science 101. Retrieved from Elysium Health: www.elysiumhealth.com/en-us/knowledge/science-101/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nicotinamide-dinucleotide-nad