Microscopes are one of the chief inventions of science by which organisms and molecules, which are not seen by our naked eyes, can be easily identified. The discovery of the microscope has helped doctors diagnose and treat diseases better, scientists reveal various aspects of science through which criminals are put behind bars, and students gain more knowledge in their respective fields.
The most common uses of microscopes in the medical field
- Microscopes help identify bacteria, viruses, and microbes in detail so that diagnosis and treatment of the disease become easy. Doctors prescribe antibiotics to the patients according to the organism causing the infection. This clearly shows that the accurate treatment of the disease is possible due to the correct findings done under the microscopes.
- They are used in the investigation of different diseases to see the cells and their abnormalities. A very complex yet fatal disease like cancer is diagnosed because the abnormal cells causing the disease are detected under the microscope. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy are prescribed to cancer patients based on the findings made under the microscope so these cancerous cells would be killed.
- They are used by students to learn the specimens as a part of their study. Plants and animals are studied under the microscope to learn about how they grow.
- Scientists from different fields use microscopes to investigate and do research in their respective fields.
- Forensic experts use microscopes to investigate and find criminals by studying their fingerprints and other details. Nowadays, criminals can easily be caught by the investigating teams as they look at every single detail under the microscope.
- Pharmaceutical companies use microscopes in their research to look for new treatments.
The effect that the microscope has on the medical field since its development is commendable. Our knowledge and the effect of our surroundings on the human body have broadened due to the microscope. From tiny molecules to visible objects, microscopes can magnify the images and give a detailed structure.
Conveniently, there is a wide range of microscopes available in the market.
The popular microscope categories
- Compound microscopes
- Stereo microscopes
- Digital microscopes
- Microscope cameras
This is a type of microscope that uses multiple lenses to magnify a 2D sample. These are called optical or a light microscope, because they have an objective and an ocular lens.
These microscopes are very easy and convenient to use. The specimen is placed on a glass slide and can be magnified 40 to 1000 times. The lenses receive the light and focus the image of the object into the microscope to further enlarge the image. It can attain a higher level of magnification than other microscopes.
Here are some uses of a compound microscope in the field of science:
- The biological microscope, which is a type of compound microscope, is used in schools so students will learn all about the structure of plants and animals.
- The phase-contrast microscope is a type of compound microscope in which bacteria, blood cells, and other minute living creatures are studied without applying dye to the specimen.
- The polarizing microscope is a type of compound microscope that is used in pharmaceutical companies and for geologists to study chemicals, rocks, and minerals.
- The metallurgical and darkfield microscope is another type of compound microscope that is used to study opaque objects, like metals and stones.
- A fluorescence microscope is a compound microscope that uses different light wavelengths to brighten the objects.
This is a type of microscope that’s used in the study of 3D objects. This type of microscope is used to view insects, plants, and other solid objects that are unable to fit on a slide and are opaque. These are called dissecting microscopes and they even allow microsurgery.
Here are some uses of the stereo microscope:
- Stereo configured microscopes are ideal for education, hobby, and light industrial use.
- Stereo modular microscopes are used for special customization and more progressive application use.
- Industrial digital microscopes come with a digital microscope camera, which is perfect for live videos.
Digital microscopes come with a screen or monitors. They are commonly used in lectures by professors and doctors. The benefit of the digital microscope is that the slides can be recorded digitally and can be sent to any part of the world through a CD or online, enabling faster and accurate diagnosis. Also, people don’t need to spend long hours viewing the slides as they can comfortably sit in an upright position and study the specimen on the monitor.
Here are some of the uses of the digital microscope:
- Dermatologists and beauticians are able to identify skin problems and can easily explain them to patients and students.
- Veterinarians are able to identify and remove ticks and other insects.
- Allow horticulturalists to identify plant diseases.
- Forged signatures are analyzed in forensic departments.
- Specific purposes in the ear, nose, and throat department.
- Endoscopy purposes in the investigation of diseases.
These are the microscopes that capture wonderful images and videos of the samples at greater resolutions and with color reproduction. They are widely used in clinical education, industries, and research.
The development and use of microscopes have revolutionized the world of science. Thanks to them, every day, scientists are making new discoveries. In the medical field, for instance, the microscope has become a necessity. The convenience of these advanced microscopes presents many opportunities for young scientists and doctors in the advancement of science.
The advantage brought in by the microscope in various filed of science are discussed below:
In the Medical field
In hospitals, doctors use microscopes to investigate patients in order to find the correct diagnosis. They may investigate blood, urine, tissue culture, or even conduct biopsy reports. The abnormal cells and microbes are seen under the microscope of these samples to find the diagnosis. After the diagnosis is made, doctors prescribe medicines and antibiotics based on organisms found under the microscope.
Every day, new organisms are developing and new diseases are emerging in the world. If there were no microscopes, people’s health conditions would not be diagnosed and people would not get proper treatment. Cancers are about to have cures because microscopes are helping pathologists to see the types of cells. This allows pharmaceuticals companies to look for the treatment of cancer-causing cells.
Not only in the hospital, but microscopes play an important role in the forensics field, too. Evidence collected from crime scenes contains many details that are not seen by the naked eyes. So, forensic experts look at the evidence under the microscope to solve a crime and find the criminals.
Bloodstain, striations in bullets, cloth fibers, and fingerprints are some of the things that are evaluated under the microscope.
Scientists have been making new discoveries with the help of microscopes every day. Whether it be about our health, individual atoms, rocks, minerals, or archeological samples, the microscope continues to impress.
A few years ago, people did not even know many things that they know today. This has all been possible due to the extraordinary development of microscopes. The inventions of vaccines for very fatal diseases are possible due to the research done under the microscope.
In a student’s life
The study of plants and animals under the topic of botany and zoology is a part of the curriculum in schools and colleges. Students take advantage of the microscope to broaden their knowledge about the lifecycle and details of living creatures. Students also use microscopes to study rocks, minerals, textiles, and fibers in detail.
So, whether used in research or academics, the microscope has changed the thinking of people about science. Because people will always be curious about nature and science microscopes will always be necessary.