Aging as described in this article is an inevitable process for everyone that involves a slow but sure decline in health. Most people believe getting older essentially means getting weaker, having a reduced libido, and being unable to perform athletic tasks. However, this is no longer true. With the rapid advancements in science and technology, there are many interventions that can enable an older individual to be as fit or even fitter than a younger person. In this article, we share with you 4 hormone replace therapies to maintain your youth and age gracefully.
Replacing Lost Hormones
As we age, our body stops producing or reduces the production of many hormones or even becomes resistant to some essential hormones. These hormones include sex hormones, growth hormones, sleep hormones, etc.
Owing to some amazing scientific breakthroughs, these hormones can be synthetically produced or some drugs can stimulate increased production of these hormones.
1.Sex hormones: Estrogen & Progesterone
Estrogen & Progesterone are female sex hormones produced by the ovaries.
1. Regulate menstrual cycle
2. Breast development during puberty
3. Maintain feminine fat distribution in the hips, legs, and breasts
4. Maintain sexual libido and drive
5. Lubricate vagina during sexual arousal
6. Essential for calcium deposition in bones
Rapid reduction in estrogen production occurs after menopause.
1. Osteoporosis: Reduced bone density thus resulting in easily occurring fractures from minor trauma
2. Ovarian cancer
3. Reduced libido and sexual drive
4. Vaginal dryness
Estrogen or estrogen/progesterone combination pills in low doses can relieve uncomfortable menopause symptoms, increase sexual libido, increase vaginal lubrication and prevent osteoporosis
2. Sexual hormones: Testosterone
Testosterone is the main male sex hormone produced by the gonads in males and by the ovaries in females. Although it is predominantly considered a male sexual hormone, females also produce some quantity of testosterone. For more facts on testosterone read more here!
1. Regulate fertility
2. Stimulates sperm and red blood cells production
3. Increase sexual libido and drive
4. Maintain and increase muscle mass
2. Reduced sexual drive
3. Reduced muscle mass
4. Decreased Red blood cells and sperm count
Although testosterone pills are available, they can have side effects due to high testosterone levels. Increasing testosterone levels by more natural methods such as a healthy lifestyle, quitting smoking, physical exercise and lifting weights are better and safer.
3. Human Growth hormone
Human Growth Hormone is an essential hormone produced by the pituitary gland.
1. Stimulates growth
2. Stimulates cellular reproduction
3. Stimulates cell regeneration
4. Crucial for children and adolescents for their physical growth and development
5. HGH increases protein synthesis; increases muscle mass and promotes lipolysis.
1. Increased fat deposition
2. Reduced muscle mass
3. Unhealthy rapid weight gain
4. In children: Dwarfism
Growth hormones can be replaced by synthetic HGH that comes in the form of HGH injections. However, this has serious side effects. Therefore, raising growth hormone levels naturally through exercise, fasting and possibly by taking supplements that stimulate natural HGH production is a better approach. For more on HGH injections read more here!
Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland in the human body.
At night, melatonin levels increase which makes people sleepy and then decreases as we wake up.
With age, the level of melatonin produced by the pineal gland drops down significantly. This results in difficulty falling asleep and insomnia.
Melatonin pills are relatively safe forms of hormone replacement and can ease sleep disorders in older people.