Miracle Mineral Solution may not be that miraculous after all.
Thought by some consumers to be the perfect miracle cure, it turns out that it is quite possibly a life-threatening drink, especially going by recent warnings by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The American government agency, whose main goal is to safeguard public health, warned consumers not to buy or drink this product. The miracle cure is sold as a treatment for several medical disorders.
The FDA noted that some people continue to promote Miracle Mineral Solution and other related products on social media, even though they are not approved. This exposes consumers to potentially life-threatening side effects.
“The FDA’s drug approval process ensures that patients receive safe and effective drug products,” said Ned Sharpless, M.D., the acting commissioner of the agency. “Miracle Mineral Solution and similar products are not FDA-approved, and ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach.”
Sharpless warned parents not to give these drinks to their children under any circumstances.
Apart from Miracle Mineral Solution, the miracle cure is known by a variety of other names, including MMS, Master Mineral Solution, Miracle Mineral Supplement, Water Purification Solution (WPS) and Chlorine Dioxide (CD) Protocol.
MMS Is Marketed As a Multipurpose Remedy
These products are said to offer antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties. However, the FDA says there is no scientific evidence to confirm the efficacy or safety of the “miracle” drinks.
Because of the all-out marketing drive on social media, more and more people are either using or considering to use these products.
To use the wonder cure, consumers are to first mix it with citrus acid – typically found in citrus fruits, such as lime and lemon – or a different acid. The sodium chloride solution is sometimes sold with an “activator” featuring citric acid.
MMS Consumption Is Risky
The agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services pointed out that, when this miracle cure is mixed with an acid, it turns into chlorine dioxide, a potent bleaching agent. Thus, drinking Miracle Mineral Solution is akin to drinking bleach!
Several adverse reactions have already been reported after drinking these products. These included severe gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. Some people were also said to experience serious dehydration and severely low blood pressure resulting from dehydration.
The Bottom Line
If you have taken these products and experience any of the symptoms stated above, seek medical attention immediately. You are also encouraged to report such to the MedWatch Safety Information program of the FDA at the earliest time possible.
“The FDA will continue to track those selling this dangerous product and take appropriate enforcement actions against those who attempt to evade FDA regulations and market unapproved and potentially dangerous products to the American public,” Sharpless said.